Saturday, June 30, 2007

New form of graffiti on the rise!

I was reading Etsy.com's blog today, catching up on some reading because I haven't visited in awhile. Anyway, I came upon this posting picturing a pipe in Brooklyn covered with a knitted tube cozy. Fabulous!! Check out the Gallery of Knitted "Graffiti" on the graffiti group's website, "Knitta, Please."
From the website:
"Knitta began in August 2005, when the soon-to-be-Knittas were discussing their frustration over unfinished knitting projects: half-knitted sweaters and balls of yarn gathering dust. That afternoon, they knit their first door handle. Then it dawned on them… a tag crew of knitters, bombing the inner city with vibrant, stitched works of art, wrapped around everything from beer bottles on easy nights to public monuments and utility poles on more ambitious outings. With a mix of clandestine moves and gangsta rap — Knitta was born! Today, Knitta is a group of ladies of all ages, nationalities, and… gender."

Also, I've been sitting on this link for awhile without any relevance to post about it. Perhaps we can all use the tool to grade the knitted graffiti instead?
Graffiti Report Card on LaughingSquid.com

From the creator of the download-able and printable PDF report card,
"It’s a project I started a couple of months ago after seeing my neighborhood (The Mission District of San Francisco) receive an amazing amount of ugly, large, and talentless graffiti. I wanted a way to combat the ugly graffiti while at the same time give praise to the talented graffiti writers who I feel make the streets more beautiful. It occurred to me, that many of our local taggers don’t realize how ugly and talentless their graffiti is, so I wanted to give them some feedback."


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails